From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 16:55:30
1 John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:50:46 -0400,
3 > Franz Fellner wrote:
4 >> On Sun Jun 21 09:21:36 2020, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> The cards I use are class 10, slow but pretty fast for the type of
6 >>> card.  Generally, I can download several hundred MBs in a minute or
7 >>> two.  Deleting sometimes over a 1,000 pics one at a time just isn't
8 >>> feasible.  That could take a long time.
9 >> That wasn't my intention!
10 >> I thought you should just select one file (remember its name), delete it,
11 >> unmount, remount and see if the file is still there.
12 >> So you can be sure that you really have a different issue than just performance.
13 >> Trying to delete a folder takes ages and you don't see the file names.
14 > Definitely unmount, the sectors sometimes don't write to disk for
15 > quite a while, and your unmount should take a few seconds to more than
16 > a minute and so unmount and wait till it returns, and then remount and
17 > see what happens.
21 It appears the cards I have is faster or something.  ;-)  Those class 10
22 cards are the fastest I think.  I got them since it throws video onto
23 the card.  I got one that should work fine in a video camera, since one
24 trail camera is essentially that.  I used Device Notifier to unmount.
25 It took it a second or so but it said it was safe to remove.  From my
26 understanding, it syncs the file system before unmounting, right?
27 Surely it wouldn't unmount if the files were still being changed, right?
28
29 I may change the cards tomorrow and do some more testing.  I'm curious
30 as to what is up with them.  I wasn't sure if that is a sign they are
31 going bad or just some weird quirk.
32
33 I'll try deleting just a couple pics or a single video and see what it
34 does.  I'm not sure it will matter but it's worth testing to see. I'm
35 curious if nothing else. ;-)
36
37 Dale
38