From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:27:18
1 On Friday 11 December 2009 13:02:36 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Many thanks Alan,
3 >
4 > so I conclude that rebooting IS necessary to get the new libraries used,
5 > isn't it?
6
7 No, not at all, you conclude wrongly.
8
9 Unix works the way it does precisely so you *don't* require a reboot to use
10 new libraries. They are already there and fully installed and fully
11 operational. You just have to start using them - this may require restarting
12 the relevant app that uses them and perhaps ldconfig.
13
14 Windows is the brain-dead johnnie-come-lately here that requires reboots. But
15 then again, Windows requires a reboot when it detects the pointer has moved so
16 that isn't surprising
17
18 > On the other hand running applications should continue to run, which is
19 > not always the case, e.g. recently using cvs as non-root user just
20 > hanged. Rebooting the system solved it (since I update my system nearly
21 > each day).
22
23 It was probably trying to use different versions of two matched libs. You
24 should not have needed a reboot to fix that.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com