From: "Mickaël Bucas" <mbucas@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:34:12
1 2009/12/11 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2 > On Friday 11 December 2009 13:02:36 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >> Many thanks Alan,
4 >>
5 >> so I conclude that rebooting IS necessary to get the new libraries used,
6 >> isn't it?
7 >
8 > No, not at all, you conclude wrongly.
9 >
10 > Unix works the way it does precisely so you *don't* require a reboot to use
11 > new libraries. They are already there and fully installed and fully
12 > operational. You just have to start using them - this may require restarting
13 > the relevant app that uses them and perhaps ldconfig.
16 To find out which files have been replaced, you can use the following command :
17 lsof | grep DEL
18 This will give you all files that have been deleted since they have
19 been loaded by the process.
20 From the process name, you can deduce the service and restart it.
21 I've never needed a reboot for this kind of problem.
22 You may have to switch to run level 1 to restart some important
23 services like udev.
24
25 > Windows is the brain-dead johnnie-come-lately here that requires reboots. But
26 > then again, Windows requires a reboot when it detects the pointer has moved so
27 > that isn't surprising
28 >
29 >> On the other hand running applications should continue to run, which is
30 >> not always the case, e.g. recently using cvs as non-root user just
31 >> hanged. Rebooting the system solved it (since I update my system nearly
32 >> each day).
33 >
34 > It was probably trying to use different versions of two matched libs. You
35 > should not have needed a reboot to fix that.
38 > --
39 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
44 Mickaël Bucas