From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:38:53
1 Mickaël Bucas wrote:
2 > 2009/12/11 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> On Friday 11 December 2009 13:02:36 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Many thanks Alan,
7 >>>
8 >>> so I conclude that rebooting IS necessary to get the new libraries used,
9 >>> isn't it?
10 >>>
11 >> No, not at all, you conclude wrongly.
12 >>
13 >> Unix works the way it does precisely so you *don't* require a reboot to use
14 >> new libraries. They are already there and fully installed and fully
15 >> operational. You just have to start using them - this may require restarting
16 >> the relevant app that uses them and perhaps ldconfig.
20 > To find out which files have been replaced, you can use the following command :
21 > lsof | grep DEL
22 > This will give you all files that have been deleted since they have
23 > been loaded by the process.
24 > >From the process name, you can deduce the service and restart it.
25 > I've never needed a reboot for this kind of problem.
26 > You may have to switch to run level 1 to restart some important
27 > services like udev.
30 > Mickaël Bucas
33 Actually, you can kill udev and restart it. Kill the process and then
34 run "/sbin/udevd --daemon" and it will be started again.
35
36 Dale
37