From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:34:51
1 On 12/11/2009 9:38 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Mickaël Bucas wrote:
3
4 >> From the process name, you can deduce the service and restart it.
5 >> I've never needed a reboot for this kind of problem.
6 >> You may have to switch to run level 1 to restart some important
7 >> services like udev.
8
9 > Actually, you can kill udev and restart it. Kill the process and then
10 > run "/sbin/udevd --daemon" and it will be started again.
11
12 Yeah, or you could, you know, just reboot.
13
14 Frankly I have never figured out the irrational fear Linux people have
15 about rebooting their machines after a big upgrade. It takes my laptop
16 way less time to shutdown and restart than it does for me to manually
17 stop and restart everything that just got updated, and I can go grab a
18 soda in the meantime.
19
20 --Mike