From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 23:24:50
1 On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 21:59:18 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2
3 > I encrypt my home partition with LUKS and enter a passphrase
4 > during boot. But I always wanted to get decryption upon login running,
5 > especially because it would require me to enter one less password. But
6 > haven’t gotten around to that yet.
7
8 Are you the only use of the computer? If so, set your display manager to
9 auto-login, you have already authenticated yourself by unlocking the home
10 partition.
11
12 > > With one notable exception. There is sometimes sensitive information
13 > > in /etc, like wireless passwords.
14 >
15 > For that reason I put this stuff into /home/etc/$hostname/ (I back up my
16 > machines’ /etc on all other machines, also to have a reference if I need
17 > to know “How did I do this on $other_host?”). And then I symlink to
18 > that from the real location, i.e.:
19
20 I used to do that, now I have an encrypted /, which contains the keys for
21 any other encrypted volumes, so I still only need to enter one password.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.