From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 16:52:19
1 On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:24:22AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 21:59:18 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >
4 > > I encrypt my home partition with LUKS and enter a passphrase
5 > > during boot. But I always wanted to get decryption upon login running,
6 > > especially because it would require me to enter one less password. But
7 > > haven’t gotten around to that yet.
8 >
9 > Are you the only use of the computer? If so, set your display manager to
10 > auto-login, you have already authenticated yourself by unlocking the home
11 > partition.
12
13 Now that’s an interesting idea I haven’t thought of yet. Thanks. My LUKS
14 passphrase is much more secure than my ancient user password anyway *hehe*.
15
16 > > > With one notable exception. There is sometimes sensitive information
17 > > > in /etc, like wireless passwords.
18 > >
19 > > For that reason I put this stuff into /home/etc/$hostname/ (I back up my
20 > > machines’ /etc on all other machines, also to have a reference if I need
21 > > to know “How did I do this on $other_host?”). And then I symlink to
22 > > that from the real location, i.e.:
23 >
24 > I used to do that, now I have an encrypted /, which contains the keys for
25 > any other encrypted volumes, so I still only need to enter one password.
26
27 That falls into the category of using initrds which is also far down on my
28 todo. I understand the mechanics and had played with dracut in the past, but
29 nothing workable has come out of it yet.
30
31 > Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it.
32
33 Like stealing taglines. >:-)
36 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
37 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
38
39 Please notify me if you did not receive this message.