From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:59:58
1 yep. it's a bug. As soon as I remove iptables from the kernel config,
2 ipw2100,ieee80211_crypt_tkip, ieee80211_crypt_ccmp, ieee80211_crypt_wep,
3 ieee80211 all show up fine in lsmod. no dmesg errors, and eth1 (wireless)
4 shows up fine. Off to bugz to log this.
5
6 John D
9 -----Original Message-----
10 From: John Dangler [mailto:jdangler@××××××××.net]
11 Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 11:36 PM
12 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
13 Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables
14
15 ok. I got a clean kernel and removed iptables and firestarter. I then went
16 into the kernel config and _only_ turned on iptable support as a module, and
17 ran modules-update. all looks ok. Rebooting the kernel, however, I get
18 this in dmesg -
19 ipw2100: disagrees about version of symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
20 ipw2100: no version for "ieee80211_get_crypto_ops" found: kernel tainted.
21 (a whole lot of these messages listing what appears to be every symbol in
22 the ipw2100 module)...
23 then -
24 ieee80211: disagrees about version of symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
25 ieee80211: Unknown symbol per_cpu__softnet_data.
26 (a whole lot of these messages listing what appears to be every symbol in
27 the ieee80211 module)...
28 then -
29 ieee80211_crypt_wep: disagrees about version of symbol ___pskb_trim
30 ieee80211_crypt_wep: Unknown symbol ___pskb_trim.
31 (a whole lot of these messages listing what appears to be every symbol in
32 the ieee80211_crypt_wep module)...
33
34 It appears that the version of ipw2100 and/or ieee80211 in portage (stable)
35 clashes with the version of iptables in portage (stable).
36
37 So, either I can have wireless or security...
38
39 John D
42 -----Original Message-----
43 From: John Dangler [mailto:jdangler@××××××××.net]
44 Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 10:36 PM
45 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
46 Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables
47
48 Holly~
49 The Firestarter kernel requirements doc says -
50
51 *Device drivers
52 *Networking support [y]
53 *Networking support
54 *Networking options
55 *Network packet filtering [y]
56 *Network packet filtering
57 IP: Netfilter Configuration
58 (*)
59
60 "We recommend you enable _everything_ except ipchains support and ipfwadm
61 support as modules under this menu"
62
63 In case I did something out to bork this myself, I'm going to unmerge
64 firestarter and iptables, rebuild the kernel into the state it was before
65 this started (genkernel --kernel-config=my.old.config all), emerge iptables
66 (instead of letting firestarter emerge do it), make sure that iptables loads
67 up ok, then emerge firestarter and configure it. That way, I can be sure
68 that it's not me just getting in a hurry to install a package...
71 John Dangler
72 GenoFit
73 800-505-4078 (Corporate)
74 386-767-3730 (Direct)
75 866-273-0408 (Fax)
76 www.genofit.com
77 jdangler@×××××××.com
80 -----Original Message-----
81 From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
82 Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 9:32 PM
83 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
84 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iptables
85
86 John Dangler schreef:
87 > I emerged firestarter (during which I got iptables), and forgot that I
88 > didn't have iptables emerged prior. I went into the kernel and selected
89 (as
90 > the doc I found suggests)
93 Oh, John, to hell with "the doc you found" (which look to be from the
94 Wiki). No offense to the wiki (or to you), but you're really
95 overcomplicating this. You're probably better off with the Firestarter
96 docs found here
97
98 http://www.fs-security.com/docs/kernel.php
99
100 which are complete, and clear, and designed to work with the Firestarter
101 front end.... you know, "official docs"...? :)
104 Holly
105 --
106 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
113 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list