From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:41:51
1 ok. I got a clean kernel and removed iptables and firestarter. I then went
2 into the kernel config and _only_ turned on iptable support as a module, and
3 ran modules-update. all looks ok. Rebooting the kernel, however, I get
4 this in dmesg -
5 ipw2100: disagrees about version of symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
6 ipw2100: no version for "ieee80211_get_crypto_ops" found: kernel tainted.
7 (a whole lot of these messages listing what appears to be every symbol in
8 the ipw2100 module)...
9 then -
10 ieee80211: disagrees about version of symbol per_cpu__softnet_data
11 ieee80211: Unknown symbol per_cpu__softnet_data.
12 (a whole lot of these messages listing what appears to be every symbol in
13 the ieee80211 module)...
14 then -
15 ieee80211_crypt_wep: disagrees about version of symbol ___pskb_trim
16 ieee80211_crypt_wep: Unknown symbol ___pskb_trim.
17 (a whole lot of these messages listing what appears to be every symbol in
18 the ieee80211_crypt_wep module)...
19
20 It appears that the version of ipw2100 and/or ieee80211 in portage (stable)
21 clashes with the version of iptables in portage (stable).
22
23 So, either I can have wireless or security...
24
25 John D
28 -----Original Message-----
29 From: John Dangler [mailto:jdangler@××××××××.net]
30 Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 10:36 PM
31 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
32 Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables
33
34 Holly~
35 The Firestarter kernel requirements doc says -
36
37 *Device drivers
38 *Networking support [y]
39 *Networking support
40 *Networking options
41 *Network packet filtering [y]
42 *Network packet filtering
43 IP: Netfilter Configuration
44 (*)
45
46 "We recommend you enable _everything_ except ipchains support and ipfwadm
47 support as modules under this menu"
48
49 In case I did something out to bork this myself, I'm going to unmerge
50 firestarter and iptables, rebuild the kernel into the state it was before
51 this started (genkernel --kernel-config=my.old.config all), emerge iptables
52 (instead of letting firestarter emerge do it), make sure that iptables loads
53 up ok, then emerge firestarter and configure it. That way, I can be sure
54 that it's not me just getting in a hurry to install a package...
57 John Dangler
58 GenoFit
59 800-505-4078 (Corporate)
60 386-767-3730 (Direct)
61 866-273-0408 (Fax)
62 www.genofit.com
63 jdangler@×××××××.com
66 -----Original Message-----
67 From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
68 Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 9:32 PM
69 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
70 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iptables
71
72 John Dangler schreef:
73 > I emerged firestarter (during which I got iptables), and forgot that I
74 > didn't have iptables emerged prior. I went into the kernel and selected
75 (as
76 > the doc I found suggests)
79 Oh, John, to hell with "the doc you found" (which look to be from the
80 Wiki). No offense to the wiki (or to you), but you're really
81 overcomplicating this. You're probably better off with the Firestarter
82 docs found here
83
84 http://www.fs-security.com/docs/kernel.php
85
86 which are complete, and clear, and designed to work with the Firestarter
87 front end.... you know, "official docs"...? :)
90 Holly
91 --
92 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
99 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list