From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] iptables
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:41:07
1 Holly~
2 The Firestarter kernel requirements doc says -
3
4 *Device drivers
5 *Networking support [y]
6 *Networking support
7 *Networking options
8 *Network packet filtering [y]
9 *Network packet filtering
10 IP: Netfilter Configuration
11 (*)
12
13 "We recommend you enable _everything_ except ipchains support and ipfwadm
14 support as modules under this menu"
15
16 In case I did something out to bork this myself, I'm going to unmerge
17 firestarter and iptables, rebuild the kernel into the state it was before
18 this started (genkernel --kernel-config=my.old.config all), emerge iptables
19 (instead of letting firestarter emerge do it), make sure that iptables loads
20 up ok, then emerge firestarter and configure it. That way, I can be sure
21 that it's not me just getting in a hurry to install a package...
24 John Dangler
25 GenoFit
26 800-505-4078 (Corporate)
27 386-767-3730 (Direct)
28 866-273-0408 (Fax)
29 www.genofit.com
30 jdangler@×××××××.com
33 -----Original Message-----
34 From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
35 Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 9:32 PM
36 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
37 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iptables
38
39 John Dangler schreef:
40 > I emerged firestarter (during which I got iptables), and forgot that I
41 > didn't have iptables emerged prior. I went into the kernel and selected
42 (as
43 > the doc I found suggests)
46 Oh, John, to hell with "the doc you found" (which look to be from the
47 Wiki). No offense to the wiki (or to you), but you're really
48 overcomplicating this. You're probably better off with the Firestarter
49 docs found here
50
51 http://www.fs-security.com/docs/kernel.php
52
53 which are complete, and clear, and designed to work with the Firestarter
54 front end.... you know, "official docs"...? :)
57 Holly
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list