From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iptables
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:48:37
1 John Dangler schreef:
2 > Holly~ The Firestarter kernel requirements doc says -
3 >
4 > *Device drivers *Networking support [y] *Networking support
5 > *Networking options *Network packet filtering [y] *Network packet
6 > filtering IP: Netfilter Configuration (*)
7 >
8 > "We recommend you enable _everything_ except ipchains support and
9 > ipfwadm support as modules under this menu"
10
11 I never read this as meaning that everything should be selected, but
12 rather that everything that you select under this menu, other than
13 ipchains support and ipfwadm, should be selected as a module rather than
14 static. But even then, they further explain that this is mostly to save
15 size and memory in the kernel, rather than some actual necessity.
16
17 And of course, the docs further say
18 > At the very least, the Connection tracking, IP tables, Connection
19 > state match support, Connection tracking match support, Packet
20 > filtering, Full NAT and the LOG target support
23 My config looks like this:
24
25 CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=y
26 # CONFIG_IP_NF_CT_ACCT is not set
27 # CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_MARK is not set
28 # CONFIG_IP_NF_CT_PROTO_SCTP is not set
29 # CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP is not set
30 # CONFIG_IP_NF_IRC is not set
31 # CONFIG_IP_NF_TFTP is not set
32 # CONFIG_IP_NF_AMANDA is not set
33 CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE=y
34 CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
35 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=y
36 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPRANGE=y
37 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC=y
38 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_PKTTYPE=y
39 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK=y
40 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y
41 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=y
42 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_RECENT=y
43 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ECN=y
44 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_DSCP=y
45 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_AH_ESP=y
46 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LENGTH=y
47 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TTL=y
48 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS=y
49 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_HELPER=y
50 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE=y
51 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_CONNTRACK=y
52 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=y
53 # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ADDRTYPE is not set
54 # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_REALM is not set
55 # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_SCTP is not set
56 # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_COMMENT is not set
57 # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_HASHLIMIT is not set
58 CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=y
59 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=y
60 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=y
61 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ULOG=y
62 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=y
63 CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=y
64 CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
65 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=y
66 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=y
67 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP=y
68 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_SAME=y
69 # CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_SNMP_BASIC is not set
70 CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=y
71 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=y
72 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ECN=y
73 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_DSCP=y
74 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MARK=y
75 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_CLASSIFY=y
76 CONFIG_IP_NF_RAW=m
77 CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NOTRACK=m
78 CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPTABLES=y
79 CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPFILTER=y
80 CONFIG_IP_NF_ARP_MANGLE=y
81
82 As you see, I haven't even followed the instructions properly (all this
83 stuff is static), but, as the docs also say it will, Firestarter seems
84 to work fine (because all the 'required elements' are enabled.
85
86 Maybe I'll go back through make menuconfig and clean that all up, just
87 so I know what I'm doing in future. But afaik, I just left the kernel
88 defaults in place (as about all I know about these settings is that 1)
89 I'm not using ipv6, and 2) anything that is needed for a router I don't
90 need, because I'm not a router :) ).
91
92 It rather sounds like Hans-Werner is onto something; often, when you
93 change your kernel configuration, you have to rebuild any external
94 modules against the new base, which you don't seem to have done.
95 Otherwise the external module thinks that functions are available that
96 it has to modprobe (because the functionality has changed from static to
97 module), and vice versa (if the functionality has changed from module to
98 static).
99
100 If I reconfigure my kernel to modify a sound module, then no, I don't
101 have to re-emerge the ati-drivers (because the kernel change is
102 irrelevant to the external module), but the same wouldn't be true if I
103 changed /dev/agpgart from static to a module.
104
105 In this case, you certainly are changing kernel options relevant to the
106 external modules, so those would have to be re-emerged against the new
107 kernel congiguration.
108
109 HTH,
110 Holly