From: Sarpy Sam <sarpy.sam@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing a CUPS printer
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:56:47
1 On 9/18/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 9/18/06, Sarpy Sam <sarpy.sam@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 > >
5 > > Maybe port 631 will work here, I have it set to Listen *.631
6 >
7 > Changed it to
8 >
9 > Listen *:631
10 >
11 > and restarted CUPS on the server.
12 >
13 > <SNIP>
14 > >
15 > > On the client mahines you want to comment out the listen localhost:631
16 > > line in cupsd.conf. Then you want to make a file in /etc/cups called
17 > > client.conf. Insert in it
18 > >
19 > > ServerName *****
20 >
21 > Ah! OK, that makes sense. I changed it appropriately, restarted CUPS
22 > on the client machine and now I get this far:
23 >
24 > mark@dragonfly ~ $ lpq
25 > HP is ready
26 > no entries
27 > mark@dragonfly ~ $ lpstat -a
28 > HP accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
29 > mark@dragonfly ~ $
30 >
31 > So far this looks OK. However, if I go into the CUPS manager on the
32 > client and try to print a test page it's telling me the printer is not
33 > available.
34 >
35 > Any ideas? I guess you can print a test page from within the CUPS
36 > manager on the client?
37 >
38 > Thanks a lot for this much. It's helpful.
39 I messed around some more with mine now and found out a few more things.
40
41 I also added the following to the cupsd.conf on the print server machine.
42
43 # Show shared printers on the local network.
44 Browsing On
45 BrowseOrder allow,deny
46 BrowseAllow 192.168.2.*
47 BrowseAllow @LOCAL
50 # Restrict access to the server...
51 <Location />
52 Order allow,deny
53 Allow localhost
54 Allow From 192.168.2.*
55 </Location>
56
57 The 192.168.2.* is my local subnet I was trying to allow printing
58 from. With a restart of the cups server on the machine with the
59 printer that client machine saw the peinter no problem.
60
61 I also now discovered that when I use the CUPS manager on the client
62 machine itr just forwards me to the CUPS manager on the Server
63 machine. Since in cupsd.conf I haven't allowed a client machine
64 access to change anything I can't change any of the parameters of the
65 CUPS manager but I am able to print a test page.
66
67 I also finished setting up KDE and everything is now working fine on
68 the client with the setup I have described. Sorry about forgetting to
69 tell you about the other two lines I changed in cupsd.conf. Hope
70 these changes help you.
71 --
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list