From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use RAM
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:18:36
1 Joshua Murphy schrieb:
2
3 > Yep! sys-apps/preload goes a long way to automate what I did with
4 > busybox's readahead tool, and I'm about 99% certain they both make the
5 > same system call to do the work anyways... it's all a matter of how &
6 > where they get their list of *what* to fetch... I, as I said, took the
7 > brute force approach and made my list by hand. ;-)
8
9 Ok, so it seems to me that I will just stay with sys-apps/preload and
10 avoid my own "brute force approach" ;-)
11
12 I don't have any particular issues, the box is rather fast and smooth so
13 far ... and remember my non-ricer-approach ;-)
14
15 As I see I am not even able to use much RAM with several (vmware-)VMs
16 running, so the 8 gigs will maybe stay some number to impress *some*
17 people with (until everyone gets 8 gigs into their supermarket-PCs).
18
19 Anyway.
20 Stefan