From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use RAM
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:03:55
1 On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Joshua Murphy schrieb:
3 >
4 >> Non-ricer? Well... this sorta breaks that category.
5 >
6 > ;-)
7 >
8 >> There's a rather handy tool[1] already in the stage3, I've used it
9 >> alongside bootchart to force-load everything needed into ram during
10 >> boot, before it's needed, so execution gets held up by i/o just a
11 >> little less. Actually shaved a few seconds off of my desktop's bootup
12 >> once upon a time (3.0 GHz core 2 duo on 4GB of ram, which had
13 >> excessive eyecandy while remaining fairly lightweight). The second use
14 >> I put it through, and this one just a little more long-term useful,
15 >> was preloading my wm, most of my home directory (primarily all the
16 >> config files), aterm, firefox, a few other common tools I use, and the
17 >> libraries they were using on my system while logging in. All of my
18 >> applications were starting in no time at all. The catch... I took the
19 >> brute force approach, rather than using an add-on tool to
20 >> automagically choose what to prefetch for me. There are also setting
21 >> in the bootscripts that, if you're not already using them, will make
22 >> use of at least a little, using tmpfs here and there, and also just
23 >> putting /tmp and /var/tmp onto tmpfs (outside of building things like
24 >> open office, this tends to work well). Oh, and if you really do want
25 >> to use up all that ram.... build openoffice in tmpfs... if it could
26 >> use all 8GB for files only, it might actually work out, I know it
27 >> kills off when you only have part of 4GB to feed it.
28 >>
29 >> [1] artifice ~ # busybox readahead
30 >> BusyBox v1.14.2 (2009-10-13 06:37:22) multi-call binary
31 >>
32 >> Usage: readahead [FILE]...
33 >>
34 >> Preload FILE(s) in RAM cache so that subsequent reads for thosefiles
35 >> do not block on disk I/O
36 >
37 > I use sys-apps/preload ... is this comparable?
38 >
39 > I don't need to speed up boot-times as I use suspend-to-ram on my main
40 > workstation as well, so I don't care much about booting ...
41 >
42 > Thanks anyway for sharing! Stefan
46 Yep! sys-apps/preload goes a long way to automate what I did with
47 busybox's readahead tool, and I'm about 99% certain they both make the
48 same system call to do the work anyways... it's all a matter of how &
49 where they get their list of *what* to fetch... I, as I said, took the
50 brute force approach and made my list by hand. ;-)
53 Poison [BLX]
54 Joshua M. Murphy