From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 64-bit system?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:40:28
1 > > You'll only notice a speed increase with applications that need to
2 > > caculate very large numbers, like encryption keys and certain
3 > > scientific apps. Everything else will basically run just as fast in
4 > > 32-bit mode as it will in 64-bit. There are exceptions in certain
5 > > media encoders that don't have hardware optimizations for 64-bit, that
6 > > may actually run faster as 32-bit apps.
7 >
8 > Well, the registers are not only twice longer, but there is twice as much of
9 > them as in 32-bit. And THIS is what optimising compilers are fond of. More
10 > registers mean less in-memory temporary variables, which in turn means less
11 > memory accesses. This gives speed improvement. For SMP systems it gives huge
12 > difference - as the memory is shared between CPUs and they must fight for it.
13 >
14 > I have an amd64 system for over a year (or is it 2-yrs?). I had some glitches:
15 >
16 > * Need to use binary 32-bit firefox to have flash - still have problems with
17 > some fonts not appearing in flash
18 > * Need to use 32-bit java to make 32-bit OpenOffice happy
19 > * Some forensic packages won't compile on 64-bit due to bad coding techniques
20 >
21 > But besides that - my AMD64 3000+ just rocks. I had definitely much more
22 > problems with 64-bit XP, but since getting rid of it (XP not problems) I am
23 > fully 64-bit positive :D
24
25 That's what I just bought. A Sempron64 3000+. So, if there isn't an
26 amd64 package available, I can always use x86? Does portage make it
27 easy to do this?
28
29 - Grant
30 --