From: Pawel Kraszewski <Gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 64-bit system?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 05:57:32
1 Dnia poniedzia³ek, 18 wrze¶nia 2006 17:49, Richard Fish napisa³:
2
3 > You'll only notice a speed increase with applications that need to
4 > caculate very large numbers, like encryption keys and certain
5 > scientific apps. Everything else will basically run just as fast in
6 > 32-bit mode as it will in 64-bit. There are exceptions in certain
7 > media encoders that don't have hardware optimizations for 64-bit, that
8 > may actually run faster as 32-bit apps.
9
10 Well, the registers are not only twice longer, but there is twice as much of
11 them as in 32-bit. And THIS is what optimising compilers are fond of. More
12 registers mean less in-memory temporary variables, which in turn means less
13 memory accesses. This gives speed improvement. For SMP systems it gives huge
14 difference - as the memory is shared between CPUs and they must fight for it.
15
16 I have an amd64 system for over a year (or is it 2-yrs?). I had some glitches:
17
18 * Need to use binary 32-bit firefox to have flash - still have problems with
19 some fonts not appearing in flash
20 * Need to use 32-bit java to make 32-bit OpenOffice happy
21 * Some forensic packages won't compile on 64-bit due to bad coding techniques
22
23 But besides that - my AMD64 3000+ just rocks. I had definitely much more
24 problems with 64-bit XP, but since getting rid of it (XP not problems) I am
25 fully 64-bit positive :D
28 Pawel Kraszewski
29 www.kraszewscy.net
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list