From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:22:27
1 On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:02:39 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Am Montag 19 September 2011, 12:37:16 schrieb Michael Mol:
7 > >
8 > >> I recall reading about dmix in LinuxJournal years ago, but I don't
9 > >> think I ever got around to setting it up;
10 > >
11 > > you don't set it up. It just works. If your sound card does not do
12 > > hardware mixing (onboard sound doesn't) you are using dmix.
13 >
14 > Ah. As I said, I hadn't poked or researched dmix since I read about it
15 > in LinuxJournal. Pretty sure that particular issue came out over ten
16 > years ago.
17 >
18 > That doesn't quite jive with my experience with apps some apps
19 > managing to take exclusive control over sound devices. In particular,
20 > if, e.g. Flash were run under Firefox before WINE or PulseAudio, then
21 > the latter two didn't get to play.*
22
23 Flash isn't a good example though. It just assumes that it is the most
24 important (only?) thing in the universe, and tries to take over the
25 hardware for itself. If I read recent blogs correctly, even Windows
26 users suffer from the same thing with Flash.
27
28 I think the presumption in this thread in that sound apps make *some*
29 attempt to play nicely - Flash doesn't fit that category. The only
30 category it fits is "useless crap that should either be deleted or only
31 used when absolutely necessary"
38 Alan McKinnnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com