From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:05:50
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Montag 19 September 2011, 12:37:16 schrieb Michael Mol:
4 >
5 >> I recall reading about dmix in LinuxJournal years ago, but I don't
6 >> think I ever got around to setting it up;
7 >
8 > you don't set it up. It just works. If your sound card does not do hardware
9 > mixing (onboard sound doesn't) you are using dmix.
10
11 Ah. As I said, I hadn't poked or researched dmix since I read about it
12 in LinuxJournal. Pretty sure that particular issue came out over ten
13 years ago.
14
15 That doesn't quite jive with my experience with apps some apps
16 managing to take exclusive control over sound devices. In particular,
17 if, e.g. Flash were run under Firefox before WINE or PulseAudio, then
18 the latter two didn't get to play.*
22 * Yes, I know (and have used) the solutions to these kinds of problems
23 when using PA. That's beside the point.
26 :wq