From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:47:56
1 On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
4 > stick with Gentoo routers. This increases the number of Gentoo
5 > systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits. What
6 > can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
7 > I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
8 > sure that's practical. I need to put together a bunch of new
9 > workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
10 > with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.
11 >
12 > - Grant
16 I've been managing 3 very very different gentoo systems for more than 12
17 months now. I used to have 2 more machines but I decomissioned them for
18 they were old and noisy and it's summer and it's hot enough like that! haha
19
20 I do not have a lazy-proof way of administrating this whole stuff, but I've
21 come up with some kind of methodology that helps...
22
23 I found it really helps to have the same profile on all machines, same
24 /etc/portage everything. The /etc/make.conf can vary, but I would make it
25 vary in the most minimal way. For example, all my kernels and
26 /etc/make.conf are compiled for an i686, global use flags are exactly the
27 same... in fact the only difference is my host has extra make option "-j5"
28 and their distfiles mirrors will point to my own computers. Basically,
29 downgrade all computers to the lowest common denominator of all your
30 computers.
31
32 I don't use binpkgs but I'm working on that... and also for the world file,
33 I have 2 world file "styles", one has "everything" in it and the other is
34 just the minimal stuff. I used to maintain the world files directly but
35 I've opted for creating 2 ebuilds in my own portage overlay which are
36 basically called sys-apps/everything and another called
37 sys-apps/minimalist. Maintenance of world files moved to the maintenance of
38 these ebuilds. Also, it helps to have your faster computer install all
39 packages that would be installed on the others. If there's any trouble
40 doing the emerge on that one, you'll have the same problems on the others.
41 If the solution was to add some keywords in /etc/portage or something like
42 that, then you can copy the change over to your other PCs and their emerge
43 should be fine.
44
45 To reduce network load, I sync my master server (my server online) against
46 official sync server, then I sync my main computer at home against my
47 server, then I sync any other computers at home against the main computer at
48 home.
49
50 But the activity of making your systems up-to-date will vary in intensity
51 depending on how well it goes. When things are fine, it used to take 30
52 minutes to get all my systems updated, with the slowest ones taking 2-3
53 times that but requiring no intervention until the end.
54
55 I'm currently in the process of writing a script that fully automates the
56 update process. It basically tries things like "emerge -uDN --keep-going
57 world" and checks for errors, if there are, it then fires a few safe
59 fails, it then tries a revdep-rebuild, an lafilefixer, python-updater and a
60 few more, and then it restart from scratch trying the emerge again, over and
61 over. Rarely, this will not work and will require that I mask something,
62 add some keyword or update my ebuild to get rid of some package. The script
63 is clearly not intelligent and is wasting a lot of time, but it eventually
64 gets it done. Upgrades now take at least 1 hour, but are fully unattended.
65
66 Also, I think Wonko's suggestion is pretty good in combination with my
67 suggestions, I haven't tried but it does seem very attractive.
68
69 Simon