From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: can't create file but disk isn't full
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 01:49:28
1 On 05/09/2010 01:46 AM, Crístian Viana wrote:
2 > it doesn't seem so :-(
3 >
4 > Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
5 > /dev/sda6 20856832 108698 20748134 1% /home
6 >
7 > I didn't know that the filesystem could run out of inodes before the
8 > disk space itself! thanks for the information :-)
9
10 Long shot, but check if root can write files. If yes, it probably means
11 your reserved block count is a bit high (default is 5% I believe). The
12 reserved block count is a mechanism that disallows further writes to the
13 filesystem if it gets too full, and only root can keep writing.
14
15 If that's your problem, the reserved block count can be changed with the
16 tune2fs tool. To set it to, say 2%, you would run:
17
18 tune2fs -m 2 /dev/sda6
19
20 I don't know if it's safe to do this while the filesystem is mounted.
21 To play it safe, go to single user mode, umount /home, and only then run
22 the above command.