From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My box freezee sometimes
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:11:01
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2
3 >On 4/28/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>I ran into this with a family member recently, the CPU was running hot
8 >>and the mobo was cutting the CPU off. The only way to get it back up
9 >>again was to reboot. She kept doing this though, thinking it was
10 >>windoze, until the CPU burned out.
11 >>
12 >>If you are using Gentoo and it does this during a compile, check the CPU
13 >>heatsink for dust and make sure the fan is spinning as it should. May
14 >>also want to check those temps if you can. Most newer mobos have that.
15 >>
16 >>It could also be something else getting hot, drive, memory, one of the
17 >>chips on the mobo, northbridge comes to mind.
18 >>
19 >>Don't wait until something burns out to find out what it is. :\
20 >>
21 >>Dale
22 >>:-) :-)
23 >>
24 >>--
25 >>gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
31 >I completely agree with Dale, Pentium 4 is known for heat problems, I
32 >have to use cpufreqd and write rules to let the CPU cool down by
33 >lowering the frequency while compiling/playing. If you have thermal
34 >zone option checked with ACPI in your kernel, it would reboot at
35 >around 73C, if not, it would just go up and eventually lock up.
36 >
37 >Hard drives and memory also heat a lot, check them too.
38 >
39 >And Thomas, I have a pavilion, it runs flawless for a LONG time now,
40 >so, don't say that kinda stuff about it, my notebook have feelings,
41 >you know...
42 >
43 >--
44 >Daniel da Veiga
45 >Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
55 That is really true if you have one of those small OEM heatsinks. I
56 have a AMD 2500+ in my rig and I have the ThermalTake Venus 12 with the
57 fans running in temp controlled mode. The highest I have seen mine run
58 in a long time is about 98F. I run folding 24/7 on my systems too.
59 Compiling or running folding will not last long on those small OEM
60 heatsinks. They are just barely enough for everyday use. If you have a
61 OEM heatsink, invest in a better one. The heatsinks are larger and the
62 fans are better too.
63
64 Dale
66 --