From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My box freezee sometimes
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:59:08
1 On 4/28/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 4/28/06, Fernando Antunes <fs.antunes@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> I've already run memtest86, no problem report.
9 > > memtest86 is nearly useless on modern computers.
10 > >
11 > > Try this one instead:
12 > > http://people.redhat.com/dledford/memtest.html
13 > >
14 > > -Richard
17 > I ran into this with a family member recently, the CPU was running hot
18 > and the mobo was cutting the CPU off. The only way to get it back up
19 > again was to reboot. She kept doing this though, thinking it was
20 > windoze, until the CPU burned out.
21 >
22 > If you are using Gentoo and it does this during a compile, check the CPU
23 > heatsink for dust and make sure the fan is spinning as it should. May
24 > also want to check those temps if you can. Most newer mobos have that.
25 >
26 > It could also be something else getting hot, drive, memory, one of the
27 > chips on the mobo, northbridge comes to mind.
28 >
29 > Don't wait until something burns out to find out what it is. :\
30 >
31 > Dale
32 > :-) :-)
33 >
34 > --
35 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
39 I completely agree with Dale, Pentium 4 is known for heat problems, I
40 have to use cpufreqd and write rules to let the CPU cool down by
41 lowering the frequency while compiling/playing. If you have thermal
42 zone option checked with ACPI in your kernel, it would reboot at
43 around 73C, if not, it would just go up and eventually lock up.
44
45 Hard drives and memory also heat a lot, check them too.
46
47 And Thomas, I have a pavilion, it runs flawless for a LONG time now,
48 so, don't say that kinda stuff about it, my notebook have feelings,
49 you know...
52 Daniel da Veiga
53 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list