From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My box freezee sometimes
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:44:48
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > On 4/28/06, Fernando Antunes <fs.antunes@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I've already run memtest86, no problem report.
8 > memtest86 is nearly useless on modern computers.
9 >
10 > Try this one instead:
11 > http://people.redhat.com/dledford/memtest.html
12 >
13 > -Richard
16 I ran into this with a family member recently, the CPU was running hot
17 and the mobo was cutting the CPU off. The only way to get it back up
18 again was to reboot. She kept doing this though, thinking it was
19 windoze, until the CPU burned out.
20
21 If you are using Gentoo and it does this during a compile, check the CPU
22 heatsink for dust and make sure the fan is spinning as it should. May
23 also want to check those temps if you can. Most newer mobos have that.
24
25 It could also be something else getting hot, drive, memory, one of the
26 chips on the mobo, northbridge comes to mind.
27
28 Don't wait until something burns out to find out what it is. :\
29
30 Dale
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list