From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 03:44:25
1 On 04/27/13 09:20, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 26 April 2013 22:43:10 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:10:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> I wasn't born here in Africa and didn't spend primary school years here
5 >>> either. But I distinctly recall having to walk to school in the snow
6 >>> and in the dark to geet their before 9 o'clock. Not fun. DST would
7 >>> have helped.
8 >>
9 >> No it wouldn't - DST makes it darker in the morning. When I was about 11,
10 >> the government experimented with using BST all year round. One of the
11 >> reasons given for not doing it was that kids would have to go to school
12 >> in the dark.
13 >
14 > ... and the children's accident rate in Scotland shot up.
15 >
16 > And what is this idea of saving daylight? Only an American could conceive of
17 > such a nonsense (I hope).
18 >
19 And the curtains will fade quicker with all that extra saved sunlight.
20 And has anyone thought of the dairy cows? Farmers get up at 4am to milk
21 them, but the cows will get confused because they don't have watches so
22 when the farmer turns up at 4am, DST, the cows won't be there........
23 and on it goes, drivel from the great unwashed masses who can't wrap
24 their head around the concept of shifting the clock 1 hour.
25
26 Get over it and enjoy the extra hour in the evening. But then again I'm
27 in Australia where we have things to enjoy as distinct from those who
28 appear to be in the UK and complaining :) And lets be realistic about
29 childrens accident rates due to daylight savings, hasn't anyone heard of
30 Darwinian theory....
31
32 Regards,
33 Andrew