From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 15:00:47
1 On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:37:07 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
3
4 > On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
6 > >> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>> Pandu Poluan wrote:
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>>
10 > >>>> Since it's obvious that upsteam has this "my way or the highway"
11 > >>>> mentality, I'm curious about whether eudev (and mdev) exhibits
12 > >>>> the same behavior...
13 > >>>>
14 > >>> I synced yesterday and I didn't see the news alert. Last eudev
15 > >>> update was in Feb. so I *guess* not. It seems to be a "udev"
16 > >>> thing. That is why I mentioned eudev to someone else that was
17 > >>> having this issue with a server setup.
18 > >> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that,
19 > >> it being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some
20 > >> solution like the old rule generator, instead of using udev's
21 > >> approach.
22 > >>
23 > >> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a
24 > >> point in removing this, the approach there was so far was just a
25 > >> dirty hack.
26 > >>
29 > > Thing is, it works for me. The old udev worked, eudev works but
30 > > I'm not sure what hoops I would have to go through to get the new
31 > > udev working, most likely the same ones others here are going
32 > > through now. For once, I'm not having to deal with some broken
33 > > issue. < knock on wood >
34 > >
35 > > My current uptime is about 190 days. May hit it still but I'm
36 > > certainly hoping I don't.
37 >
38 > And, at least now, I have got enough knowledge to know whether it
39 > affects me or not. But the sad thing is that I got most of that
40 > knowledge *after* the first of these versions without the old script
41 > was stabilized.
42
43 Another sad thing is that if you want to find out about the option to
44 keep the old-style naming rules, Udev/upgrade page
45 <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade> just links to bug 453494,
46 so instead of a guide, users get to read a bug entry with 94 comments
47 (and counting).
48
49 I went with the new persistent names because it seemed simpler and
50 because there was relatively clearer information about how it should be
51 done.
52
53 Once upon a time, for an upgrade like this, Gentoo would have produced
54 a guide summarizing the pros and cons of the two courses of actions
55 along with a recipe for each one. (Or if not a recipe, at least a list
56 of all the considerations needed for each path.)