From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Invalid boot diskette" what do I do?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:31:41
1 >> LOL.  Except not really.  Am I totally screwed or is there some
2 >> little-known method for kick-starting an apparently dead HD?
3 >> Everything was fine until it was rebooted.  Multiple reboots always
4 >> come back to:
5 >>
6 >> Invalid Boot diskette- Enter BOOT diskette into A:
7 >>
8 >> Cracks about how if the system is old enough to have a floppy drive
9 >> then it's overdue for a dead HD are appropriate.
10 >
11 > Things I would try:
12 >
13 > Go into BIOS and make sure settings are still proper (sometimes it can
14 > get wiped out and set to bad values)
15 >
16 > Make sure BIOS can see the HDD manufacturer and model number etc.
17 >
18 > If not, power off, re-seat the HDD cables and try again
19 >
20 > If yes, boot from liveCD and use your favorite tools to examine the drive
21 >
22 > If the drive is visible, partition table in-tact, then I would try to
23 > chroot into your gentoo and reinstall your boot loader like in the
24 > installation handbook
25 >
26 > If drive is not visible, take it out and hook it up to another computer
27 >
28 > If other computer can read it, maybe your motherboard/controller got
29 > fried somehow
30 >
31 > If other computer can't read it either... buy a new HDD and restore
32 > from your most recent backup ;)
33
34 Thank you everyone. The system is remote so I will give this a try
35 ASAP. BTW, this happened due to someone pushing the power button
36 during an eclean operation.
37
38 - Grant