From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Invalid boot diskette" what do I do?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:32:13
1 [snip]
2 >> Things I would try:
3 >>
4 >> Go into BIOS and make sure settings are still proper (sometimes it can
5 >> get wiped out and set to bad values)
6 >>
7 >> Make sure BIOS can see the HDD manufacturer and model number etc.
8 >>
9 >> If not, power off, re-seat the HDD cables and try again
10 >>
11 >> If yes, boot from liveCD and use your favorite tools to examine the drive
12 >>
13 >> If the drive is visible, partition table in-tact, then I would try to
14 >> chroot into your gentoo and reinstall your boot loader like in the
15 >> installation handbook
16 >>
17 >> If drive is not visible, take it out and hook it up to another computer
18 >>
19 >> If other computer can read it, maybe your motherboard/controller got
20 >> fried somehow
21 >>
22 >> If other computer can't read it either... buy a new HDD and restore
23 >> from your most recent backup ;)
24 >
25 > Thank you everyone.  The system is remote so I will give this a try
26 > ASAP.  BTW, this happened due to someone pushing the power button
27 > during an eclean operation.
28 >
29 > - Grant
30
31 I'm amazed but disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE and power cable
32 fixed it. Which is your favorite tool for testing a HD's integrity
33 with and without S.M.A.R.T. support?
34
35 - Grant