From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot via floppy from cdrom
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:53:07
1 On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 02:32 +0100, Tom wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I had a very un-nice evening, trying to get my system back into a
5 > usable state, which I eventually managed, but that is another story.
6 >
7 > It made me realise I need a way to be able to use my cdrom drive to
8 > boot cds.
9 > Let me explain before you say 'huuhh!?'
10 > I bought a new dvdwriter a couple of weeks ago, and ever since I am no
11 > longer able to boot from cd (using that drive, its SATA). It seems its a
12 > bios bug or something, I even contacted the vendor (ASRock) and they
13 > sent me an updated flash image, which I was sofar unable to install,
14 > for some strange obscure reason.(I generally do know how to flash
15 > bioses, and strangely the 'official' bios images from their site work,
16 > just not the one support sent me, they are now offering to send me a
17 > pre-burnt bios chip, but I'm slighly reluctant to go that road...)
18 >
19 > So now I'm basically thinking to myself, ok, I have a floppy drive, so
20 > what I need is a floppy disk, with a small kernel and my sata-chipset
21 > driver and some mechanism for then booting of a (bootable)cd lying
22 > ready in my drive.
23 >
24 > So, any ideas how to do something like this? Maybe something ready
25 > made, or a convenient script.
26 >
27 > Everything I found regarding this, was using 2.3 kernels and were
28 > generally out of date :(
29 >
30 > Tom
33 Smart Boot Manager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/)