From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:32:40
1 On 1/8/06, Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 08 January 2006 06:36, Trenton Adams wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Here we go again, who says that you have to limit it to a menu? Give
5 > > a menu, but allow a graphical shell during install for those that want
6 > > to do extra packages, or whatever. Or, even provide a dynamically
7 > > extendable menu that can grab packages lists from other places, from
8 > > another CD, floppy, Internet, etc. So, to not provide a menu would be
9 > > *limiting* as well. But I do agree with you Holly, that providing
10 > > *only* a *predefined* graphical menu for package installation would be
11 > > limiting.
12 > >
13 > Menu of what? How will a Gentoo developer know what you want to install? If
14 > you are starting from Stage 3, you just need to choose what to install and
15 > thats it. How will a menu help you in that? As far as graphics based Gentoo
16 > install is concerned. I don't think that it is even anywhere near Gentoo
17 > Dev's priorities right now.
18
19 Really? Then why have they already created one? Hmm.
23 > > Wouldn't it be beneficial to provide automated graphical installs for
24 > > gentoo, but provide the option to open a graphical shell at *all*
25 > > stages of the installation process? Wouldn't that be ultimate
26 > > flexibility? I read about the new graphical install for gentoo, and
27 > > perhaps it already does this!?!?
28 > >
29 > Yes having a graphical install process would be great. Why don't you volunteer
30 > and try to write one for us? :)
31
32 Yeah, I would love to find the time to do that. At this moment though
33 I don't have the time, as my wife would be upset with me doing extra
34 work when I come home from work after doing the extra work that I do
35 after coming home from work. LOL. But I certainly will when I get
36 the time.
39 > Regards,
40 > Abhay
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list