From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:11:40
1 On Sunday 08 January 2006 06:36, Trenton Adams wrote:
2 >
3 > Here we go again, who says that you have to limit it to a menu? Give
4 > a menu, but allow a graphical shell during install for those that want
5 > to do extra packages, or whatever. Or, even provide a dynamically
6 > extendable menu that can grab packages lists from other places, from
7 > another CD, floppy, Internet, etc. So, to not provide a menu would be
8 > *limiting* as well. But I do agree with you Holly, that providing
9 > *only* a *predefined* graphical menu for package installation would be
10 > limiting.
11 >
12 Menu of what? How will a Gentoo developer know what you want to install? If
13 you are starting from Stage 3, you just need to choose what to install and
14 thats it. How will a menu help you in that? As far as graphics based Gentoo
15 install is concerned. I don't think that it is even anywhere near Gentoo
16 Dev's priorities right now.
19 > Wouldn't it be beneficial to provide automated graphical installs for
20 > gentoo, but provide the option to open a graphical shell at *all*
21 > stages of the installation process? Wouldn't that be ultimate
22 > flexibility? I read about the new graphical install for gentoo, and
23 > perhaps it already does this!?!?
24 >
25 Yes having a graphical install process would be great. Why don't you volunteer
26 and try to write one for us? :)
27
28 Regards,
29 Abhay