From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:10:36
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> As long as you actually commit to maintaining the Nethack package, you
4 >> can do this.
7 > As above: I think it's wrong.
10 Your opinion is noted. Your argument was that policy issues were
11 preventing you from fixing Nethack. Now you're simply choosing not to
12 fix Nethack because you think that the problem was fixed in the wrong
13 way.
14
15 You're welcome to not fix Nethack if you don't want to fix it.
16 However, it is a bit disingenuous to talk about barriers to fixing
17 things when they're self-imposed.
20 > I have offered one right now, including
21 > * changes to the project structure (shrinking the amount of devs,
22 > concentrating on the core, base-system, toolchain, PM)
23
24 Nobody is going to deny devs entry to Gentoo in the absence of a
25 working alternative. That just seems like a non-starter. Create your
26 grand new vision first, then you probably won't have to convince
27 everybody else to abandon the status quo.
28
29 > * changes to the culture (REVIEWS, not random push access)
30 > * changes to the policies (themes overlays, how to split overlay etc)
31 > * changes to the tools (pointed out some specific things that are
32 > already implemented in paludis)
33
34 These are all things I support.
35
36 > It's not just about "then work on it" if it's a cultural, organizational
37 > and technical change at once.
38
39 Sure it is. That is how things get solved.
40
41 Your proposal amounts to basically forking the whole distro. You can
42 do that if you want. We're not going to force it to happen by kicking
43 all the current devs out.
44
45 > The first step is NOT randomly implementing or changing things. The
46 > first step is to discuss, find people who think similar and see if this
47 > is even a thing we CAN move to.
48
49 No argument, and I fully support that discussion. I just don't care
50 for the "sky is falling" atmosphere.
53 >> What is the difference between 1 million repositories on 1 million
54 >> rsync servers and 1 million subdirectories on 1 rsync server?
55 >> Administratively there is a difference, of course, but in terms of
56 >> capability there is actually no difference. They're just different
57 >> namespaces.
60 > Then we should merge all upstream packages automatically into the CVS tree.
61
62 As I said, administratively there is a difference, and technically
63 there is not (in the sense of technical capability). That is just as
64 true about forking every single upstream project we have and sticking
65 it in CVS. That would actually work just fine technically. It just
66 would be a horrible mess to administer.
69 >> It is just incredibly demotivating, and completely unactionable. If
70 >> somebody a month ago gave you some misinformation about Nethack, I
71 >> can't fix that. I gave you the correct information above.
74 > Yes, it IS unactionable, because there is no consensus whatsoever. I
75 > find it funny that people want to push me into the "go open a project
76 > and shut up" direction.
77 >
78 > Don't really expect me to push long for this. I don't need burn-out.
79 >
80 > I am just pointing out the idea and waiting for interesting feedback
81 > (majority wasn't).
82
83 I'm all for improvements. The part that is demotivating is pointing
84 to past problems that are solved and arguing that we still need to
85 solve them. Then talking about non-specific problems that need
86 solutions, without giving anybody an opportunity to solve it in any
87 other way.
88
89 It is just unfair to everybody to argue in this way.
90
91 Suppose I claim that Gentoo has horrible problems, but it will all be
92 fixed if everybody mails me a check for $10k. What are those
93 problems? Well, they are cultural problems. They're really serious.
94 They're making people quit! Who specifically is quitting? You're
95 focusing on specifics, and I'm trying to fix the big problems and not
96 the little instances of it. Just send me that check for $10k.
97
98 I ask for specifics because as a Council member it is my duty to try
99 to deal with problems. When you claim that there are problems not
100 getting solved, but refuse to provide the necessary information to
101 allow the problems to be solved, then it is basically an argument that
102 I'm not doing my job and you're dissatisfied, but you simply don't
103 trust me to actually fix things.
104
105 I realize that is personalizing things a bit, but it is demotivating
106 all the same.
107
108 I fully get that your intentions are good. I'm not disputing that.
109 However, you're proposing revolutionary solutions that are unlikely to
110 be embraced wholesale when having a long-term goal with incremental
111 steps for getting there would be far more constructive.
114 >>>
115 >>> Again: there are various people who have a different concepts of how
116 >>> games in gentoo should look like. So we can either start breaking tree
117 >>> consistency (and I hope QA will kickban us for doing so, because that's
118 >>> exactly their job) or we just stop doing everything centralized and let
119 >>> things happen... which concept is the most popular one will then turn
120 >>> out by itself!
121 >>
122 >> The council already said that games do not need to be in the games
123 >> herd. It is not within the QA team's discretion to decide otherwise.
124 >>
125 >> BTW, about nethack: you can have a package named nethack2 if you
126 >> want. I can add another one called nethack3. GLEP 39 specifically
127 >> states that projects are allowed to compete.
130 > "The Gentoo Quality Assurance Project aims to keep the portage tree in a
131 > consistent state."
132 >
133 > As I said: I don't think that GLEP makes a lot of sense. And I will
134 > neither introduce competing eclasses, nor break tree consistency
135 > randomly. The user will have major problems finding his way if we have
136 > ~10 ruby eclasses, ~12 python eclasses, ~3 multilib implementations (uh,
137 > we already have) and ~4 games eclasses (and some games not using any of
138 > those).
141 We already have 2 multilib implementations, and 2 approaches to games.
142
143 Your proposed distributed model would actually increase the number of
144 alternatives.
147 >>>> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more overlay support. I'm all for
148 >>>> reform when there is something to reform. However, in all your
149 >>>> complaints about developers causing conflicts you're actually becoming
150 >>>> part of the problem. You're basically coming across as being
151 >>>> impossible to satisfy, because you bring up vague complaints without
152 >>>> anything that anybody can act upon, and I find it rather frustrating
153 >>>> personally as these sorts of issues are something I'm really committed
154 >>>> to fixing.
155 >>>>
156 >>>
157 >>> Again: you are confusing a specific incident with my proposal of a
158 >>> distributed model.
159 >>
160 >> I FULLY support having more distributed repositories. The part of
161 >> your argument that I object to is your claim that we have these huge
162 >> cultural issues that prevent people from working on things they want
163 >> to work on, or that we shouldn't allow people to work on packages in
164 >> the main tree.
167 > The reason I jumped into this thread is that someone had problems with
168 > the java project. I'm not sure, but maybe something is wrong with my eyes?
169
170 And my point was that the only problem I see with Java is that nobody
171 is actually working on it. If nobody works on distributed java
172 repositories, it will be just as bad.
173
174 My specific request was WHO is trying to do something to improve Java
175 and finding a policy that is preventing them from doing so, and WHAT
176 policy is causing the problem?
177
178 It is easy to talk about vague problems. It is harder to actually
179 pinpoint specific issues that can actually be fixed.
180
181 Please don't take this as a personal attack - I generally have a lot
182 of respect for you. I just don't think that this is a helpful way of
183 approaching these problems.
186 Rich