From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:14:27
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > > The reason I jumped into this thread is that someone had problems with
5 > > the java project. I'm not sure, but maybe something is wrong with
6 > > my eyes?
9 Your eyes are fine. Gmane's web interface was hosed. I tried to use
10 nntp (earlybird) but that interface does not consistently respond
11 to the thread, so hacking at the settings and posting(tests) seems
12 to upset some.....
13
14 I appreciate your ideas, I mostly like the ideas of distributed development
15 for non "core" modules. I also believe and Rich as articulated, that
16 we mostly have thing now. Where I diagree with Rich is this. Sure,
17 If somebody has been a gentoo dev for years, has push access
18 then they can get coding completed. If you are new to the depths
19 of what gentoo devs do, then it is opaque as to which docs to read,
20 dealing with the technical details that are currently used and which
21 are either not documented or poorly documented, etc etc. It's not
22 that any of the devs have a desire to keep folks from becoming deeply
23 capable devs such as themselves, it that these "elites" spend very
24 little time, paving a path for others "fledgling devs"; so the
25 the cost barrier to gaining inside (current) knowledge is very him,
26 imho. Most will just drift to anothe distro where that sort of help
27 is more redily available. Thank god for SVEN. But, he cannot clean
28 up the myriad of docs that need tlc. What you do not seem to "comprehend"
29 Rich, is what most non super_devs want is some help, imho. Just look
30 back at your harsh postings on java. It's rather crushing for folks
31 that want to use Java. Quite simply, I'm developing the skills to
32 use java on gentoo. Those keen developers within the java team, are
33 spread very thin; just look at what they are recruiting for:
36 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
39 So I understand that you are not interested in Java. So, how do
40 we find or develop a "gentoo-inner-circle-java-interested" dev?
41 With out that java does not have a chance to gain traction within
42 gentoo, imho. OK, so dont beat me up for being lazy (stupid as
43 volker points out routinely) just *help me* via private email
44 who at Gentoo is the java wizard? I'll do tons of grunt work
45 to make then happy.? OK?
46
47 Oh shit: problem one. Go clean up BGO's java bugs. I cant because
48 it has become a circular cluster_F!. Too many old blocking bugs;
49 nobody (who gives a shit) with the authority to purge java bugs.
53 > And my point was that the only problem I see with Java is that nobody
54 > is actually working on it. If nobody works on distributed java
55 > repositories, it will be just as bad.
56
57 Rich, there are billions of Java codes, available in source form
58 that can easily have ebuilds created. But we have poor support
59 for maven, etc. So they go nowhere. (I believe a gentoo-dev for
60 maven is the blocker here. I know that Maven is not easy. I am
61 not (yet) close to being qualified to work on deep maven issues
62 withing gentoo.
65 > My specific request was WHO is trying to do something to improve Java
66 > and finding a policy that is preventing them from doing so, and WHAT
67 > policy is causing the problem?
68
69 see details above?
73 > It is easy to talk about vague problems. It is harder to actually
74 > pinpoint specific issues that can actually be fixed.
75 > Please don't take this as a personal attack - I generally have a lot
76 > of respect for you. I just don't think that this is a helpful way of
77 > approaching these problems.
80 Ah, I think Hasufell has very good intentions and some keen ideas.
81 My fear is java is getting not love from the gentoo innner circle.
82 So we reduce the innner circle dev count, move java to the perimeter
83 (where nobody cares that is remotely connected to the inner-circle)
84 and java get's better? I've seen this sort of thing thousands of
85 times in my life. Java will just be purged from Gentoo, reticent on
86 your previous postings about your feelings towards Java.
89 Another council member in 2013 was all encouraging about gentoo-clustering.
90 But now that clustering is mostly java centric (imho), few at
91 Gentoo care about cluster on gentoo. Convenient. Sad. Not really
92 encourage to the fledgling community that are willing to work on
93 java, but need leadership.
96 I put (2) ebuilds into BGO. apache-mesos and apache-spark.
97 bugs 510912 and 523412. There they languish.
98
99 Following the outside overlay semantic guidance, newer versions are here,
100 thanks to Alec:
101
102 https://github.com/trozamon/overlay/tree/master/sys-cluster
103
104 So as you point out, go and work on what you want. Really? You think
105 they'll get move to the gentoo tree any time soon? I'm mostly looking
106 for help, encouragement and guidance. I am not looking for harsh
107 reponses that are discouraging. I am not trying to harash you, I appreciate
108 what you do for Gentoo, very much. I get you are not interested in
109 anything remotely connected to java. I would appreciated your keen
110 insight into finding us a java leader that is not burnt to a crisp
111 by the gentoo-stress-burnout syndrome that seems to surging, again.
114 If you want java to prosper at Gentoo, it's gonna take an "inner-circle"
115 gentoo-dev to at least cheerlead for java within gentoo, imho.
118 hth,
119 James