From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:31:46
1 Am Montag 24 November 2014, 18:13:56 schrieb James:
4 > If you want java to prosper at Gentoo, it's gonna take an "inner-circle"
5 > gentoo-dev to at least cheerlead for java within gentoo, imho.
8 I'm not really sure what this "inner-circle" stuff is supposed to mean.
9
10 You need a gentoo-dev who is interested and willing to talk to and to listen
11 to the existing java team members, and willing to invest quite some time and
12 effort.
13
14 I have absolutely no clue about the state of java in Gentoo, but for the sake
15 of the argument let's assume that the team is understaffed and the ebuild
16 architecture is in need of a general overhaul.
17
18 Then what one would have to do is understand how things are done now and why
19 (listening helps sometimes more than talking talking talking). Java has some
20 pretty complex eclasses, so it'll take some time until you understand them.
21 First start with small improvements and then with bigger steps. At some point
22 you get along with the existing team and plan the big reforms with them.
23
24 This may need dedication and patience, and is not always best served by the
25 CADT phenomenon. It definitely does not get better by forking the code into N
26 random overlays. And proposing a Java revolution because the existing team
27 does not immediately jubilate at your extensive reform proposals is also not
28 necessarily the best idea.
29
30 ok now I just have to go to Starbucks.
33 Andreas K. Huettel
34 Gentoo Linux developer
35 kde, council