From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I do a one-time boot to non-default kernel in Lilo?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:32:35
1 On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 11:35:33PM -0400, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote
2
3 > Unless I misunderstand you, after you issue "lilo" to write to the MBR,
4 > then issue:
5 > lilo -R experimental
6 >
7 > where experimental is the name of the kernel image you want to boot. The R
8 > creates a one time command which it will use the next time you boot, then
9 > it will be erased.
10 >
11 > And give the kernel an append statement:
12 > append="panic=10"
13 >
14 > so that if the kernel does not boot, you get automatically rebooted back
15 > into the good kernel.
16
17 Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I vaguely remembered
18 reading about something this, but my Google-fu didn't quite work.
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>