From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [SOLVED] Kernel build failing on new install
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 01:28:56
1 On 2020-10-13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:13:34 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Try disabling CONFIG_IKHEADERS in your kernel config.
5 >> > I have it disabled on my system.
6 >>
7 >> Thanks. That fixed my problem. It seems that deleting stuff in
8 >> "make menuconfig" is 90% of the work in a kernel config.
9
10 I can't even remember the last time I configured a kernel from
11 scratch. I always start with a .config file from an older version or
12 a different machine.
13
14 >> All etherenet drivers are default enabled. What bugs me is that
15 >> with every kernel upgrade, "make oldconfig" shows a whole bunch of
16 >> new ethernet drivers, and they're all default enabled.
17 >
18 > AFAIR that option only enables the brand of card, the individual models
19 > still have to be selected.
20
21 That's how it has always worked for me. By default it will _show_ you
22 new drivers, but they're disabled by default. If you're paying
23 attention, you can disable the a whole submenu full of
24 new-but-disabled drivers and save a bunch of time.
25
26 > But it is annoying when configuring a new version of a working kernel.
27
28 Yep.
31 Grant