From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 07:53:37
1 On Sunday 25 July 2010 06:57:43 KH wrote:
2 > > You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
6 > > Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the
7 > > journal and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not
8 > > the 40 minutes it takes to do a ful ext2 check.
12 > > I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way
13 > > to do this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe
14 > > an ext user will chip in with the correct method
20 > Hi,
21 >
22 > I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
23 > /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
24
25 It's been a long time since I used ext3 so some of this might be wrong.
26
27 An fsck that takes a few seconds is using the journal, which might not uncover
28 deeper corruption. You should try disabling the journal (I couldn't find the
29 way to do that though), but this will also work:
30
31 Boot of a LiveCD, mount your root partition somewhere using type "ext2" and
32 fsck it. This will invalidate the journal but that's OK, it gets recreated on
33 the next proper boot. Let the fsck finish - it will take a while on a large
34 fs.
35
36 When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com