From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 04:58:58
1 Am 24.07.2010 22:21, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Saturday 24 July 2010 21:57:38 KH wrote:
3 >> Hi there,
4 [...]
5 >> Anyway the box won't boot anymore. grub starts up. Kernel boots. Then
6 >> there is checking root file system (or something like that).The message
7 >> is that my ext2 file system can not be read. That I might want to try
8 >> the alternativ superblock by running #e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
9 >>
10 >> Well, I put the hdd in an external usb and conected it to my
11 >> workstation. As I thought hda3 (is /dev/sde3) is an ext3 filesystem.
12 >> Also badblocks and e2fsck did not show any problem with the hdd.
13 >>
14 >> /etc/fstab is corect (i hope), too.
15 >>
16 >> What am I missing? How can I get the server running, again?
17 >
18 > You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
19 >
20 > Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the journal
21 > and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not the 40 minutes it
22 > takes to do a ful ext2 check.
23 >
24 > I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way to do
25 > this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe an ext user
26 > will chip in with the correct method
31 Hi,
32
33 I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
34 /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
35
36 Regards
37 kh