From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best method for automounting...
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:05:45
1 On Saturday 02 December 2006 03:45, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 07:00:50 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
3 > > Yes, very sure. You can't use autofs on a system that is using hald...
4 > > You can modify hal actions via config files to play nice with cdroms
5 > > and such, but you never get hal to leave cf cards alone. On a few of
6 > > the forums that I've found, have called this a pretty major bug...
7 >
8 > I don't normally want it to leave CF cards alone, but just tried and it
9 > worked perfectly. Bear in mind that there is no differentiation between
10 > different physical formats of flash media, but that KDE considers
11 > anything with a dcim directory in the root to be a camera. I just set the
12 > auto-action for unmounted camera to Ignore and plugged in my camera's
13 > CF card and it did not automount. all that happened was that an icon
14 > appeared on the desktop, which I could also disable if I wished.
15 >
16 > It sounds more like a misconfiguration than a bug.
17
18 If you spend a bit of time googleing the problem, a lot of people are trying
19 to deal with it.
20
21 Not everyone works on a desktop/gui all the time... What happens, and this is
22 documented in a lot of google matches, once you mount a cf card... hald won't
23 let go... the only way to get in unmounted is to turn the hal daemon off.
24 This is a horrible situation if you do work with cli while kde is being used
25 by someone else.
26
27 Misconfiguation? Not on my part.
28
29 Form the looks of everything offered... it's easier to not support the kde
30 media manager and use autofs... It'll be something to plan on administrating,
31 but at least it works 100% with concurrent kde and cli sessions.
32
33 Cheers.
39 Jerry McBride
40 --