From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best method for automounting...
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 10:41:28
1 On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:58:26 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
2
3 > > I don't normally want it to leave CF cards alone, but just tried and
4 > > it worked perfectly. Bear in mind that there is no differentiation
5 > > between different physical formats of flash media, but that KDE
6 > > considers anything with a dcim directory in the root to be a camera.
7 > > I just set the auto-action for unmounted camera to Ignore and plugged
8 > > in my camera's CF card and it did not automount. all that happened
9 > > was that an icon appeared on the desktop, which I could also disable
10 > > if I wished.
11 > >
12 > > It sounds more like a misconfiguration than a bug.
13 >
14 > If you spend a bit of time googleing the problem, a lot of people are
15 > trying to deal with it.
16
17 I would if I understood what the problem was. You say you want KDE to
18 leave CF cards alone, now you seem to be saying that you want it to
19 automount them and then leave them alone. Please provide a URL
20 explaining the problem.
21
22 > Not everyone works on a desktop/gui all the time... What happens, and
23 > this is documented in a lot of google matches, once you mount a cf
24 > card... hald won't let go... the only way to get in unmounted is to
25 > turn the hal daemon off. This is a horrible situation if you do work
26 > with cli while kde is being used by someone else.
27
28 I've just tried this. I plugged in a CF card, let KDE automount it and
29 then switched to a VC and pumounted it as the same user, no problem. I
30 expected there to be a problem if a file manager window was showing the
31 contents of the card, this used to happen because konqueror had a lock on
32 the mount point, but that also worked perfectly.
33
34 > Form the looks of everything offered... it's easier to not support the
35 > kde media manager and use autofs... It'll be something to plan on
36 > administrating, but at least it works 100% with concurrent kde and cli
37 > sessions.
38
39 Autofs polls the drive to see if it's still there, unlike HAL/D-BUS based
40 solutions that use system messages. This always struck me as rather
41 kludgy. KDE's automount/hotplug support was patchy a few releases ago,
42 particularly in 3.4 IIRC correctly, but it seems to work just as expected
43 now.
47 Neil Bothwick
48
49 Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.