From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD microcode updates - where are they?!
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 16:21:51
1 On 2019.07.12 08:18, Mick wrote:
2 > I'm looking at dmesg output which on my Intel CPUS of various
3 > vintages shows
4 > "microcode updated early ..." but two different AMD APUs of mine do
5 > not show
6 > the same, despite AMD apparently releasing microcode updates going
7 > back to
8 > 2011:
9 >
10 > https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/amd-releases-spectre-v2-microcode-updates-for-cpus-going-back-to-2011/
11
12 I have not yet done any further searching or digging, but that link
13 seems to only talk specifically about Windows updates, not generic
14 firmware updates.
15
16 I have three different AMD based PCs, and so far, I don't see anything
17 different from Mick. However, on two Artix linux systems, I'm still
18 not quite sure whether the microcode is in the initramfs or not. I
19 hate to admit I'm also not sure on my Gentoo box, having so far made
20 only minor changes to the kernel from the June stage 3 tarball, and
21 used genkernel to compile both kernel and initramfs. I'm working on
22 configuring 5.2.0, but it will take me a while to get through the
23 complete configuration (starting from scratch.)
24
25 One suggestion - don't just grep for microcode, also check for
26 "firmware" for which I use 'dmesg | egrep -i "firmware|microcode"'.
27
28 And, one question - if I have linux-firmware emerged with savedconfig
29 use flag set, what's the best/easiest way to hunt through the actually
30 available firmware, to check if I might have missed something
31 relevant. So far, I've just searched the git repository for the
32 package. I suppose I could have kept a copy of the manifest from the
33 initial emerge (without savedconfig) but I didn't think of it at the
34 time.
35
36 Jack