From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD microcode updates - where are they?!
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:18:52
1 On Saturday, 13 July 2019 17:21:40 BST Jack wrote:
2 > On 2019.07.12 08:18, Mick wrote:
3
4 > > https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/amd-releases-spectre-v2-mic
5 > > rocode-updates-for-cpus-going-back-to-2011/
6 > I have not yet done any further searching or digging, but that link
7 > seems to only talk specifically about Windows updates, not generic
8 > firmware updates.
9
10 Yes, but any microcode releases are/should be CPU specific. If they're
11 released for applying via one OS, they should be available to others too.
12
13 Of course, if microcode has only been released to MoBo OEM's, then we're in
14 the mercy of OEM commercial interests. I'm sure when asked for an update they
15 will try to sell to us all the latest models they have recently launched. :p
18 > I have three different AMD based PCs, and so far, I don't see anything
19 > different from Mick. However, on two Artix linux systems, I'm still
20 > not quite sure whether the microcode is in the initramfs or not. I
21 > hate to admit I'm also not sure on my Gentoo box, having so far made
22 > only minor changes to the kernel from the June stage 3 tarball, and
23 > used genkernel to compile both kernel and initramfs. I'm working on
24 > configuring 5.2.0, but it will take me a while to get through the
25 > complete configuration (starting from scratch.)
26
27 I'm not familiar with dracut to know what it uses as a default archiving
28 engine and if you can run it to inspect directly the contents of an already
29 created initramfs. I know it can output on the console what it is including
30 in initramfs at the time of creation.
31
32 Anyway, if you want to look at the initramfs contents manually, I suppose you
33 will need to decompress your initramfs in a temporary directory to see its
34 contents. First find what archive format has been used.
35
36 file /boot/EFI/... initramfs-XXX.img
37
38 will output gzip, bzip2, lzma or similar archive type. Then create a
39 temporary directory to work in and use the corresponding compression type:
40
41 mkdir ~/tmp_initramfs
42 cd ~/tmp_initramfs
43
44 zcat /boot/EFI/... initramfs-XXX.img | cpio -idmv
45
46 or
47
48 bzcat /boot/EFI/... initramfs-XXX.img | cpio -idmv
49
50 or
51
52 xv -dc < /boot/EFI/... initramfs-XXX.img | cpio -idmv
53
54 Something like the above ought to do the job.
55
56 > One suggestion - don't just grep for microcode, also check for
57 > "firmware" for which I use 'dmesg | egrep -i "firmware|microcode"'.
58
59 Well, 'firmware' will capture other firmware files, like graphics card, WiFi,
60 BT, etc. rather than the CPU microcode.
63 > And, one question - if I have linux-firmware emerged with savedconfig
64 > use flag set, what's the best/easiest way to hunt through the actually
65 > available firmware, to check if I might have missed something
66 > relevant. So far, I've just searched the git repository for the
67 > package. I suppose I could have kept a copy of the manifest from the
68 > initial emerge (without savedconfig) but I didn't think of it at the
69 > time.
70 >
71 > Jack
72
73 Look under your /lib/firmware/ directory for the file you want to use, or the
74 file dmesg complains is missing. For microcode there will be no complaining,
75 but for other hardware there usually is something along the lines: "failed to
76 load blah-blah.bin, file not found."
77
78 The appropriate microcode file for your AMD CPUs can be deduced from the table
79 here:
80
81 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMD_microcode
82