From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE 4.3.95 tarballs?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:12:33
1 On 01/25/2010 05:32 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 01/22/2010 10:12 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
6 >>> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> KDE 4.3.95 has been put in the kde overlay three days ago. However,
9 >>>> fetching still fails even after three days.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Any place I can get the tarballs? The manifests have checksums in them
12 >>>> for
13 >>>> all the tarballs, suggesting that they're available somewhere.
14 >>>
15 >>> I think 4.3.95 is KDE SC 4.4 RC2, so they probably hide them until the
16 >>> official announcement. At least that's how it has happened in the
17 >>> past. I think distro KDE maintainers have early access so they can
18 >>> have them ready instantly when the announcement is made.
19 >>>
20 >>> Last I saw, it should be released publically Friday (today) or
21 >>> Saturday depending on time zone.
22 >>
23 >> Well, according to upstream's schedule it should have been released 2 days
24 >> ago:
25 >>
26 >> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.4_Release_Schedule#January_20th.2C_2010:_Release_KDE_SC_4.4_RC_2
27 >>
28 >> I'm asking because for two days emerge -u world doesn't really work because
29 >> of the failures in fetching.
30 >
31 > Today it is finally released. I don't know why it took so long. :)
32
33 It's a bit sad though that an open source project keeps secrets... I
34 found out that the tarballs were available for days now but only for
35 maintainers of KDE packages of various distros. For example Arch Linux
36 had RC2 binaries available in its [kde-unstable] repo since Jan 21, but
37 no one would give a link to the tarballs used to build the sources
38 because they are "secret".
39
40 Am I the only one to find this frustrating (to say the least)?