From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:57:24
1 On 2009-01-17, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 05:31:22PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >
5 >> I was following the "quick install" doc, and everything went
6 >> fine until I got to the section on installing grub. After
7 >> emerging grub, the "root" command failed:
8 >>
9 >> grub> root (hd0,2)
10 >>
11 >> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
12 >
13 > Did you try it on a chroot system?
14
15 Yes, that was in the chroot'ed system.
16
17 > If so, did you have access on /dev /proc and /sys inside the
18 > chroot?
19
20 I thought so. Everything else seemed to work. I definitely
21 checked to make sure /proc was mounted -- I cut/pasted the
22 commands from the quick-install web page (changing sda to hda).
23
24 But, now that you mention it, something in /dev was wrong
25 because the first time I booted Gentoo off hda2, the "issue"
26 message that's displayed before the login prompt gave
27 instructions on how to fix /dev. I never figured out what
28 exactly was wrong, but following the instructions fixed it.
29
30 It took me a while to get to that point since I tripped over
31 the grub bug that displays a blank menu and then corrupts the
32 console. Apparently there's something wrong with the
33 splash.xpm.gz file, and you have to comment out the splashcreen
34 line in menu.lst.
37 Grant