From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub -> gummiboot: good
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:47:26
1 On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:31:21 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 27 Jan 2015 21:21:05 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
4 > > Just wanted to share that I switched from booting via grub2 to
5 > > gummiboot ... UEFI only now, sure.
6
7 I switched to Gummiboot a while ago, after Canek mentioned it I think,
8 and I am glad I did. I still keep GRUB around because Gummiboot cannot
9 boot from an ISO image so Grub stays for my sysresccd emergency boot
10 option.
11
12 > ... and if you have no need for multi-booting then the kernel efi stub
13 > is very simple to configure and still works reliably (with openrc and
14 > no initrd here). No need to install a separate boot manager.
15
16 It's not only for multi-booting. AFAIR you need to build the kernel
17 arguments into the kernel when booting like this, which means you have
18 only one option for each kernel. I prefer to have a No X option as well
19 as a desktop boot.
20
21 Gummiboot just makes things easy without getting in the way.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 To boldly go where I surely don't belong.