From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub -> gummiboot: good
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:31:31
1 On Tuesday 27 Jan 2015 21:21:05 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Just wanted to share that I switched from booting via grub2 to gummiboot
3 > ... UEFI only now, sure.
4 >
5 > Back then it was quite a hassle to get my grub2-setup working, back then
6 > I had software raid and LVM and stuff ... today with my btrfs-only
7 > installations it was a very quick learning process.
8 >
9 > Just one boot from sysresccd to get the paths right ... on the 2nd
10 > machine I got it right at the first time.
11 >
12 > Removed grub already and cleaned up my setup ... nice.
13 >
14 > Additionally I adjusted my kerninst.conf (one more pointer to Canek's
15 > helpful tool kerninst at [1]) to write the correct loader-entries ...
16 > works as well already.
17 >
18 > No actual experience with dual-booting windows or so ... but according
19 > to the docs that should work out as well.
20 >
21 > ..
22 >
23 > I am now into checking [2] : just curious how minimal an fstab could get.
24 >
25 > Just some recommendation ... if someone is installing gentoo onto a
26 > clean UEFI-system, gummiboot might be easier to use than grub2 imo.
27 >
28 > Stefan
29 >
30 > -
31 >
32 > [1] https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
33 >
34 > [2]
35 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/
38 ... and if you have no need for multi-booting then the kernel efi stub is very
39 simple to configure and still works reliably (with openrc and no initrd here).
40 No need to install a separate boot manager.
43 Regards,
44 Mick