From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] html5 no longer working in firefox
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 21:31:35
1 Am Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:25:36 -0500
2 schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
3
4 > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Am Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:30:12 -0500
7 > > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
8 > >
9 > > > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
10 > > >
11 > > > > Am Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:09:14 -0500
12 > > > > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
13 > > > >
14 > > > > > Hi. I have found since my latest update that html5 is getting no audio
15 > > > > > in firefox. I am not sure what libraries are involved in this -- I
16 > > > > > downgraded firefox to 31.3.0, compiled with debug, but no error
17 > > > > > messages. It worked in early November so it must have been some update,
18 > > > > > but I can't figure out which -- how can I even troubleshoot such a
19 > > > > > thing. I am using gnome 3.14.x, so I have the gnome overlay and the
20 > > > > > "unstable" version of gentoo. I compile with a use flag of -pulseaudio,
21 > > > > > so its mostly Alsa unless gnome says otherwise.
22 > > > > >
23 > > > > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
24 > > > >
25 > > > > I don't know what exactly you mean with "no audio", but I had problems with
26 > > > > MP3 files not decoding anymore around the same time as you did, despite
27 > > > > installing Firefox with USE=gstreamer. I finally decided to debug it again
28 > > > > today, and had success after installing gst-plugins-mad (although I would be
29 > > > > surprised if gst-plugins-lame did not work, either). Now SoundCloud works again!
30
31 Just for the record, since you use Firefox 31.3.0, I don't think this is it,
32 because it depends on gst-plugins-meta, which pulls in all relevant gstreamer
33 plug-ins depending on your USE flags. The problem I was referring to above is
34 limited to Firefox 35.0.
35
36 [...]
37 > > > I will try the control-shift-i -- does firefox have to be
38 > > > compiled with debug to do this?
39 > >
40 > > No, you don't need to install firefox with FEATURES=debug. The debug console
41 > > is part of Firefox's built-in set of web developer tools.
42 >
43 > hmmm, for the moment, I am assuming that the video is visible, but no
44 > sound, as I am "visually impaired" this is an assumption. But the
45 > player loads and the time of the video keeps moving so this assumption
46 > may be correct.
47
48 That's the sort of thing I was thinking of :) . From what you say, I agree
49 with your assumption that playback itself works. Although, I vaguely recall
50 that Firefox can play videos without sound if only the audio codec is
51 unsupported (or maybe I'm thinking about playback without soundcard access,
52 like when I have JACK running), so it could *potentially* still be a codec
53 problem, despite what I wrote above. You should be able to verify that with the
54 debug console that I already mentioned.
55
56 Now as to why you don't here anything, I can only, at best, make educated
57 guesses. Alas, I use pulseaudio, so I don't have any experience with Firefox
58 with USE=-pulseaudio. My only ideas at the moment are:
59
60 - Verify that sound in other applications works, if you haven't already.
61
62 - Double-check the volume settings.
63
64 - Verify that Firefox can actually access the soundcard (though this should not
65 be a problem if you use the ALSA dmix plug-in, which is the default, I think).
66
67 - In the event that it might be a codec problem after all, verify your USE flags
68 (e.g., check for mp3, ogg, or whatever is failing).
69
70 I don't think that there are any audio settings in Firefox itself, though I
71 could be mistaken (I did look in about:config, but still couldn't find
72 anything).
73
74 HTH
75 --
76 Marc Joliet
77 --
78 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
79 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup