From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] html5 no longer working in firefox
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 22:07:04
1 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:25:36 -0500
4 > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
5 >
6 > > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Am Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:30:12 -0500
9 > > > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
10 > > >
11 > > > > Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
12 > > > >
13 > > > > > Am Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:09:14 -0500
14 > > > > > schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > > Hi. I have found since my latest update that html5 is getting no audio
17 > > > > > > in firefox. I am not sure what libraries are involved in this -- I
18 > > > > > > downgraded firefox to 31.3.0, compiled with debug, but no error
19 > > > > > > messages. It worked in early November so it must have been some update,
20 > > > > > > but I can't figure out which -- how can I even troubleshoot such a
21 > > > > > > thing. I am using gnome 3.14.x, so I have the gnome overlay and the
22 > > > > > > "unstable" version of gentoo. I compile with a use flag of -pulseaudio,
23 > > > > > > so its mostly Alsa unless gnome says otherwise.
24 > > > > > >
25 > > > > > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > I don't know what exactly you mean with "no audio", but I had problems with
28 > > > > > MP3 files not decoding anymore around the same time as you did, despite
29 > > > > > installing Firefox with USE=gstreamer. I finally decided to debug it again
30 > > > > > today, and had success after installing gst-plugins-mad (although I would be
31 > > > > > surprised if gst-plugins-lame did not work, either). Now SoundCloud works again!
32 >
33 > Just for the record, since you use Firefox 31.3.0, I don't think this is it,
34 > because it depends on gst-plugins-meta, which pulls in all relevant gstreamer
35 > plug-ins depending on your USE flags. The problem I was referring to above is
36 > limited to Firefox 35.0.
37 >
38 > [...]
39 > > > > I will try the control-shift-i -- does firefox have to be
40 > > > > compiled with debug to do this?
41 > > >
42 > > > No, you don't need to install firefox with FEATURES=debug. The debug console
43 > > > is part of Firefox's built-in set of web developer tools.
44 > >
45 > > hmmm, for the moment, I am assuming that the video is visible, but no
46 > > sound, as I am "visually impaired" this is an assumption. But the
47 > > player loads and the time of the video keeps moving so this assumption
48 > > may be correct.
49 >
50 > That's the sort of thing I was thinking of :) . From what you say, I agree
51 > with your assumption that playback itself works. Although, I vaguely recall
52 > that Firefox can play videos without sound if only the audio codec is
53 > unsupported (or maybe I'm thinking about playback without soundcard access,
54 > like when I have JACK running), so it could *potentially* still be a codec
55 > problem, despite what I wrote above. You should be able to verify that with the
56 > debug console that I already mentioned.
57 >
58 > Now as to why you don't here anything, I can only, at best, make educated
59 > guesses. Alas, I use pulseaudio, so I don't have any experience with Firefox
60 > with USE=-pulseaudio. My only ideas at the moment are:
61 >
62 > - Verify that sound in other applications works, if you haven't already.
63 >
64 > - Double-check the volume settings.
65 >
66 > - Verify that Firefox can actually access the soundcard (though this should not
67 > be a problem if you use the ALSA dmix plug-in, which is the default, I think).
68 >
69 > - In the event that it might be a codec problem after all, verify your USE flags
70 > (e.g., check for mp3, ogg, or whatever is failing).
71 >
72 > I don't think that there are any audio settings in Firefox itself, though I
73 > could be mistaken (I did look in about:config, but still couldn't find
74 > anything).
75
76 Funny thing is it used to work fine, early November and then some update
77 broke the thing, but I will definitely try the debug console and see if
78 it tells me anything.
79
80 Thanks.
84 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
85 How do
86 you spend it?
87
88 John Covici