From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] desperation question: disklabel, unable to write to disk, etc.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 02:36:02
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Thank you, Neil:
3 >
4 > Neither of these worked:
5 >
6 > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
7 > dd: writing `/dev/hda': Input/output error
8 > 1+0 records in
9 > 0+0 records out
10 > 0 bytes (0 B) copied, 3.96744 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
11 >
12 > gparted shows the whole disk as unallocated. When I try to install a
13 > new partition, it wants to install a disklabel. The attempt fails.
16 > What I don't understand---this happened after installing Sabayon on
17 > /dev/hda8. The first time I downloaded sabayon (mini x86) the md5sum
18 > was incorrect, but the install tried to work. The second time, with a
19 > correct md5sum, I tried to install on /dev/hda1, with errors on that
20 > partition. Then, I reinstalled on /dev/hda8. The install seemed to
21 > go really quickly, perhaps TOO quickly. Then, ever since rebooting,
22 > the system knows there's a disk. But something isn't right.
23 >
24 > I am starting to wonder whether a virus or trojan was hitchhiking on
25 > the blown iso download? Very seldom does wget fail. I think the
26 > download may have been resumed from a different mirror.
27 >
28 > I don't know where to go from here. Maybe try some other install cds.
29 > Maybe back to a gentoo CD.
30 >
31 > Thank you again.
32 >