From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] desperation question: disklabel, unable to write to disk, etc.
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:27:12
1 Thank you, Neil:
2
3 Neither of these worked:
4
5 # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
6 dd: writing `/dev/hda': Input/output error
7 1+0 records in
8 0+0 records out
9 0 bytes (0 B) copied, 3.96744 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
10
11 gparted shows the whole disk as unallocated. When I try to install a
12 new partition, it wants to install a disklabel. The attempt fails.
15 What I don't understand---this happened after installing Sabayon on
16 /dev/hda8. The first time I downloaded sabayon (mini x86) the md5sum
17 was incorrect, but the install tried to work. The second time, with a
18 correct md5sum, I tried to install on /dev/hda1, with errors on that
19 partition. Then, I reinstalled on /dev/hda8. The install seemed to
20 go really quickly, perhaps TOO quickly. Then, ever since rebooting,
21 the system knows there's a disk. But something isn't right.
22
23 I am starting to wonder whether a virus or trojan was hitchhiking on
24 the blown iso download? Very seldom does wget fail. I think the
25 download may have been resumed from a different mirror.
26
27 I don't know where to go from here. Maybe try some other install cds.
28 Maybe back to a gentoo CD.
29
30 Thank you again.
31