From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question on install
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 16:17:27
1 precisely what happened, sorry i didn't realize that chainging the "subject" line causes confusion.  now i know, now i can avoid that mistake.
4 Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
5 https://tutanota.com
6
7 21. Aug 2017 09:37 by rdalek1967@×××××.com:
10 > > mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com> wrote:
11 > >
12 >> refering to the amd64 handbook, at gentoo.org  "downloading the stage tarball"  where it says "
13 >> >> Downloading the stage tarball>>
14 >> Go to the Gentoo mount point where the root file system is mounted (most likely >> /mnt/gentoo>> ):
15 >> >> >> root #>> cd /mnt/gentoo"
16 >>
17 >> does that mean to change to where gentoo will be installed, or where the cd/dvd is mounted?  i'm using a gentoo live dvd.  seriously just trying to get a basic install to start with.  i ask because it doesn't seem reasonable (to my ignorant brain) to download to the ram drive created by the install dvd, if so then so, whatever works.  life is a learning process, those who've chosen to stop learning have chosen to stop living in a meaningful was.  i may trip sometimes, but i am always, always trying to learn, especially when it's "inconvenient".  thanks to all those intending to help.
18 >>
19 >> i have never cross posted, if this email appears anywhere other than ">> gentoo-user@×××××××××××.org>> please check the headers, it wasn't me, was never that ignorant nor arrogant.
20 >> >> >> --
21 >> Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
22 >> >> https://tutanota.com>>
23 >
24 > I think the technical term is thread hijacking.  I'm attaching a screenshot of what you did and what is being talked about.  What you did was pick a email, hit reply, changed the subject to yours and then sent it to the list.  At that point, the topic of the thread changed.  Some of us track mailing lists using threaded messages.  That way we can track back to a older message easily and see exactly what message is being replied to, even if it is snipped out.  It also makes it easier to ignore threads that we are not interested in.
25 >
26 > A good reason not to do this, people may not follow the older thread that was hijacked and those people, who may have the answer, will never see your question.  By starting a new thread, people are much more likely to see it.  As a example, if I see a systemd thread, I pass it by since I don't use it and would find it highly unlikely that I could help them in any way.  People who use systemd tho, they would see the thread and see if they can help.  However, if you bury it inside of another thread that is unrelated, they may not see your question.
27 >
28 > Hope that helps.
29 >
30 > Dale